Meet our Team
Phillip Gleeson - Manager/Director
Phillip started with Eckford Engineering in 1986. He served his apprenticeship as a Fitter & Turner gaining his trade certificate in 1990. Phillip then began training in the structural side of the business gaining a number of 4711 welding qualifications.
After a period of time travelling through Europe and a season in South Africa playing cricket, Phillip returned home to carry on working with Jack.
In 2002 Phillip brought the business of Jack Gleeson and Paul Corbett setting up Eckford Engineering 2002 Ltd.
Sam McConway - Manager/Director
Sam started with Eckford Engineering 2002 Ltd in 2004. He served his apprenticeship and gained his Heavy Fab 4 qualification on 2007.
Sam travelled to Australia to work in the mines doing two number stints from 2008 – 2010 and from 2012 – 2014. Between 2010 – 2012 Sam returned to work at Eckford’s and learnt to price works and to use AutoCad Lt to create shop drawings.
Sam in 2014 brought a share in the business.
The Eckford name has been linked with engineering since 1920’s. The first company formed was C A Eckford Ltd to maintain the river ships that sailed the Opawa River. In 1950, Bert Eckford, brother of Tom decided to return to shore after many years as chief engineer on the coastal traders. He took over C A Eckford Ltd, continuing to maintain the river boats and branching out into general engineering. C A Eckford Ltd first premises were on the banks of the Opawa River. In 1970 Bert sold to Jack Gleeson and Colin Mortimer who traded as Eckford Engineering Ltd and in 1973 moved the business to a new premise at 16 Auckland St.
In 1976 Paul Corbett brought Colin Mortimer’s shares and became involved with many mechanical service projects throughout the district. The advent of the wine industry saw the business branch out into structural steelwork which was managed by Jack Gleeson. Extra workload meant that more staff and space was required and in 1991 a larger, purpose built workshop was opened further down at 1 Auckland St at the Caltex Fuel Station site. At this point the company was busy making structural steel, tank walkways and platform systems for many wineries.
In 2002 Jack and Paul sold the company to Phillip Gleeson son of Jack. The business became Eckford Engineering 2002 Ltd. Phillip started with the company as an apprentice Fitter & Turner in 1986. After completing his time Phillip moved more to the welding side of the business in the structural steel with fabrication and erecting. In 2014 Sam McConway brought into Eckford Engineering 2002 Ltd. Sam started his apprenticeship with Eckfords in 2004. Once completed his apprenticeship he spent a number of year’s in the Australian mines before coming home and buying into Eckford’s.
Eckford Engineering 2002 Ltd continues today servicing the province of Marlborough with General Engineering, Structural Steelwork, Walkways, Seismic Work and Machine Shop facilities. The Eckford name for over 90 years will remain as a well-known identity in Marlborough.